Bankart Repair Shoulder Surgeon – Detached Labrum Repair
The Bankart Repair procedure is a type of orthopedic shoulder surgery offered by our top rated NYC orthopedic surgeon and is commonly performed on our patients who experience recurring shoulder joint dislocation. A bone structure called the glenohumeral joint provides the shoulder with roughly 60% of its rotational and motion ability. Damage to this joint may affect sliding, gliding or rolling action, severely limiting range of motion and mobility of the shoulder. Usually this type of injury occurs in our sports injury patients (professional athletes, weight-lifters, and active individuals). Bankart repair surgery is an arthroscopic procedure is used to repair a detached labrum. The labrum is a thick band of cartilage attached to the glenoid. It lines the shoulder socket and helps keep the ball of the humerus in place.
Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our sports medicine or orthopedic surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment at our orthopedic practice – including surgery.
We offer full out of network insurance benefits (we will contact your insurance company and submit for you). You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork. Most policies reimburse patients for most of the cost of surgery. Our surgical coordinator will help you with a quote.
Diagnostic tests, treatments and consultations can often be carried out on the same day. We offer true concierge medicine to all patients. We have the ability to see our patients immediately; same day, nights and weekend and offer emergency services.
People who experience frequent shoulder dislocations may be diagnosed with what is called a “Bankart tear” or a “Bankart lesion”, which severely affects the stability and strength of the shoulder joint and its function.
A Bankart lesion or Bankart tear is one of the most common types of ligament injuries to the shoulder joint. Any time a ligament is torn from the front of the shoulder socket, orthopedic surgical repair is most likely be necessary. Individuals experiencing frequent shoulder dislocation juries may be diagnosed with deficient glenoid bone structure, which surgery may help to correct. The Bankart repair surgery procedure may also help to restore bony anatomy of the shoulder socket.
Common Labral Tears
- SLAP Tears: A Superior Labrum from Anterior to Posterior (SLAP) tear is most commonly seen in overhead throwing athletes, such as baseball and tennis players.
- Bankart Lesions: A Bankart lesion occurs when a shoulder dislocates. When the shoulder comes out of joint, the labrum is torn, and makes the shoulder more susceptible to future dislocations.
- Posterior Labral Tears: Posterior labral tears are less common, but sometimes seen in athletes in a condition called internal impingement. In this syndrome, the rotator cuff and labrum are pinched together in the back of the shoulder.
Individuals who have not responded adequately to rehabilitation programs following traumatic injury or recurrent instability also significantly benefit from surgical procedures that repair the labral tears.
Symptoms of a labral tear depends on where the tear is located, but may include:
- An aching vague pain in the front or top of the shoulder.
- Shoulder instability.
- Clicking or catching sensation in the shoulder during certain movements.
- Ex: catching/clicking during the “cocked” position of throwing.
- Pain with specific overhead activities.
Our best in class Upper East Side, NYC, orthopedic surgeons pride ourselves with providing you highly personalized and comprehensive care for your Bankart Repair surgery. Our philosophy of direct surgeon to patient care at every visit has made us one of the most trusted and respected practices on the Upper East Side in NYC. Feel free to contact us today, at any time, and start yourself on the road to recovery.