Top Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery Specialist
Dr. Jonathan Glashow is one of the best rated Arthroscopic Shoulder surgeons in NYC. Arthroscopic shoulder surgery is a surgical procedure offered by our best in class Upper East Side NYC orthopedic surgeons in which an arthroscope is inserted into the shoulder joint. The benefits of arthroscopic shoulder surgery, as compared to other methods, are smaller incisions, faster healing, a more rapid recovery, and significantly less scarring. Arthroscopic shoulder surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and the patient is able to return home on the same day. Arthroscopy is much less traumatic to the muscles, ligaments and tissues than the traditional method of surgically opening the shoulder with long incisions (open techniques).
Please note: A doctor’s referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our sports medicine or orthopedic surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment at our orthopedic practice – including arthroscopic shoulder surgery.
We offer full out of network insurance benefits for your arthroscopic shoulder surgery (we will contact your insurance company and submit for you). You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork. Diagnostic tests, treatments (oftentimes surgery), and consultations can often be carried out on the same day.
We are honored to have been awarded “Best Orthodepedic Surgeons in America” by New York Magazine for over a decade. Our best in class orthopedic sports medicine surgeons have also been recognized by SuperDoctors, The New York Times, Top Doctors, New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors” issue, and hundreds of leading publications, news programs, and orthopedic surgeon’s review websites.
Arthroscopic shoulder problems treated with arthroscopic surgery may include:
- A torn or damaged cartilage ring (labrum) or biceps tendon
- Evaluation and treatment of instability
- A torn rotator cuff
- Stiffness of the shoulder
- Subacromial decompression (removal of bone spur / scar tissue)
- Arthritis of the end of the clavicle
- Treatment of frozen shoulder
- Removal of loose bodies
- Debridement / drainage of shoulder joint infection
Shoulder Surgery Operations Include:
- Arthroscopic shoulder decompression: Shoulder pain is often due to rotator cuff impingement where the tendon (rotator cuff) is “pinched” by excess bone and decompression aims to remove the excess bone to decompress the tendon.
- Arthroscopic complex cuff repair: The rotator cuff tendon may be torn and can be repaired by “micro” surgery.
- Arthroscopic shoulder stabilization: Recurrent dislocation or instability of the shoulder may require repair of the torn labrum (capsule/ligaments). This again is normally done arthroscopically. Occasionally if there is too much bone loss or the tissue too weak an open stabilization may be required.
Following the arthroscopic shoulder surgery, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend you to practice certain measures for better outcomes. Pain medications will be provided, bandage will be given around the operated shoulder which can be removed after 24 hours and dressings can be placed to cover the wounds. Slight swelling of the shoulder may be present after the surgery which is normal.
A cold therapy unit is often recommended. This is a sleeve that wraps the shoulder in continuous cold with no need for ice. Normal day to day function can usually be resumed 3-5 days following the procedure. A following up visit to the office is done with days of surgery.
If you are an out of town patient seeking our orthopedic surgeon’s best in class diagnostic and surgery for your arthroscopic shoulder surgery services, please review the following link for travel information to our New York orthopedic practice: Out of town travel information for our Arthroscopic Shoulder surgery patients.
Our Upper East Side NYC orthopedic shoulder surgeons pride ourselves with providing you highly personalized and best in class comprehensive care for your arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Our philosophy of direct orthopedic surgeon to patient care at every visit has made us one of the most trusted and respected practices on the Upper East Side in NYC. Feel free to contact us today, at any time, and start yourself on the road to recovery.